Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I, for one, welcome our new database-selling overlords.

In all honesty, I'm glad this regulatory dance is over. We've all been having a little itch in our brains about this. Even if any of us have had real work to do, we've been at least a little distracted by by this whole acquisition uncertainty.

Well, we're finally part of Oracle now, and I think that's pretty cool. Larry E. wants to butt heads with IBM and HP directly, and quite honestly, we at Sun have been doing that on-and-off for at least my not-quite-14-years here. Now that this uncertainty has been removed, we can at least narrow the uncertainty to any internal-to-Oracle decisions, which given certain statements both in the past and yesterday seem pretty encouraging, at least from my engineering perspective.

Jonathan said we should light a candle for Sun. As a prank gift for my 40th birthday, I got a 40-ounce bottle of Olde English. I think instead I will pour that 40 for Sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment